Thursday 11 August 2011

Thing 6: Online Networks

Well I'm goodness knows how many weeks behind now as it's been a manic few weeks at work.  But I refuse to give up and I know how much catching up I have to do which is why I'm thankful this 'thing' is about online networks which I use a lot...so not much research required (yay).

A good place to start this post would be to explain what online networks I find most useful and why.  Following on from the 'thing' I use LinkedIn, Facebook, CILIP Communities as well as Google +.  I find LinkedIn useful for my professional side, I've linked my 'work' Twitter account to my profile and joined a few professional groups.  I find it useful for keeping up to date with the profession and keeping track of my own professional development. 

Facebook on the other hand I tend to use outside of work.  I do however still follow a few library pages such as Career Development Group Wales, Orkeny Library Service and Swansea Public Libraries.  However I wouldn't use Facebook for my proffessional work and tend to change my privacy settings.  As I mentioned in a previous post I prefere to seperate out my work/proffessional identity from my personal identity.  I was glad when Google + arrived as it meant I could experiement with yet another social netowrk (yay once more) but have decided to keep that as mostly professional.  Another reason for this is that most of my (non professional) friends are still on Facebook and i have yet to find one of them on Google +, and I don't have time to explain to my mum how to use Google + it's taken nearly a year for her to understand Facebook!

I have signed up to CILIP Communities but must admit I rarely look at it and I haven't looked at LISNPN or the Librarians As Teachers Network yet, but no doubt will.  I'm hesitant to look though as being a member of so many social networks I feel I get what I need from them already, please no more emails or sites to check!  It comes back to one of my earlier points of information overload. I would find it overly stressful, not to mention time consuming, checking/updating every social network I was a member of...however I don't want to miss out on the latest gossip, or upcoming news. Rock vs Hard Place!

No comments:

Post a Comment