Friday 12 August 2011

Thing 11: Mentoring

I have been lucky I have had a variety of mentors in my career so far.  I have an official mentor for my chartership who is also a colleague on the CDG Wales committee.  She's been a good friend and my mentor for so long she is almost part of the family!  I look at my chartership mentor as a critical friend and able to look at the bigger picture when giving advice and guidance.

I've also worked in quite a few steering groups where I have met some amazing people that have been able to mentor me through my first professional post.  Sometimes without me or them even realising it.  These are people I look up to and respect who are also keen to help with my development.  I've often said of these people (you know who you are!) that when I grow up I want to be a librarian (or in some cases just a grown up) like them.

I have found these mentor/mentee relationships invaluable especially in my current and previous position and have learned a great deal.  I would like to think that they have learned from me too, from my perspective and sometimes over eager enthusiasm.  Although I have kept these many of my mentors informal I am beginning to think that maybe a more formal mentoring relationship would be worthwhile.  I am always keen to learn knew things and appreciate the time constraints that we all have.  I could always add this to my to-do list in Evernote now :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment